After I've placed my order, how do we proceed ?
Nothing more simple:
Step 1: Execute a back-up of your website from C-Pannel. Whenever intensive work is done on a website, a back-up has to exist in case problems arise. We will also perform a back-up from inside Wordpress through UpdraftPlus but it's good to also have a C-Pannel back-up.
Inside C-Pannel, search for the "back-ups" icon. Then, create a "total back-up" and a "database back-up" and save them in your computer.
Step 2: We need wordpress access. Create a new user with administrator permisions. (for example: username - TurboWeb, password - 12345, role - administrator). You can do this from Users -> Add New. Here you have a prin screen of the process: click here
Step 3: Wait 3 days for us to perform the optimization. During these 3 days, try to be avaliable because we might need to communicate with you. Why ?
1) It's possible that modifications performed from inside C-Pannel might be needed and we only have Wordpress access. These modifications are relatively simple so we can guide you step-by-step on how to do them.
2) Some plug-ins will have to be eliminated. Many websites, especially newspapers, have all kind of bling-blings that are highly detrimental to their performance. We need to have a discussion with you in order to decide which bling-blings are truly important for you and which are the ones that could be removed.
Step 4: Once the optimization is complete, the website needs to be tested by you in order to make sure everything is working properly. Of course, we will also test the website, but you are the one who knows it better than anybody else and you might notice things that have escaped our eyes.
Step 5: From now on, the website will stay optimized "automatically". All that is left for you to do are small maintainence chores that require only a couple of mouse clicks from time to time + scaling new images that are uploaded. (image scaling can not be done automatically, it has to be done manually for every new image added to the website)
For 3 months following the optimization, we will offer help in case problems appear due to things we have implemented on your website.
Is it normal that you will be provided wordpress access ?
Yes, it's something normal and necessary for anyone who has to perform intensive work on the website. You have probably already given or will have to give this kind of access in the future to the following persons:
- people from theme support in order to fix bugs
- people from hosting who have C-pannel access all the time anyway
- people from your SEO company
- people from your web design company
Even we have provided wordpress access to theme support in order to fix a bug on this website.
Do you guarantee me a certain score on Google Page Insights ?
1) Every website has a different architecture. Not everybody can score 100/100 on that test as our website.
2) That testing tool, although very popular, is a "best practices" and "synthetic" tool that DOES NOT ALWAY REFLECT REALITY. Reality can only be measured with WebPageTest.org (tool meant for proffesionals also developed by Google)
How do I test how well has my website been optimized ?
Most important score is the "Speed index" from WebPageTest.org - This reflects how fast above the fold content is loading. Total loading time shown in WebPageTest is also important. In order to test your website on this tool, enter your adress and then select to run 9 tests (instead of 3). Then, select a location close to home in case you are not using a CDN. After testing is complete, on the top part of the screen you will notice a "Speed index" score. On the left part of the screen, next to individual testing results, you will notice total loading time. (under "First View")
Put shortly, speed optimization has two main goals:
1) Deliver the above the fold content as fast as possible. Above the fold content must be delivered as fast as possible to the visitor and all other resources must be loaded in the background, while he is spending 1-2 seconds reading the first thing that appears on the website. For example a website could have a total loading time of 3.5 seconds but above the fold content could be delivered in just 1 second. An optimized website must deliver this above the fold content in 1 second, while loading all other things in the background.
2) Reducing total loading time. An optimized website should have a small total loading time.
Is there a problem with the fact that I'm using a free or pirated theme ?
No, there is no problem with that. In general, it depends on luck weather a theme is good or bad and cases where we stumble upon a terrible theme are rare.
Free themes are built by novice programers in order to gain experience. These are then tested by themeforest or other theme selling websites before being allowed there. In this way, not any kind of garbage gets to be avaliable for download.
When it comes to pirated themes, those that edit the code usually only modify things related to the design, not to functionality. A pirated theme can be as good as an original one in terms of performance. We have met clients with such kind of themes and we had no problems.
No theme is perfect, all have their problems. Yet, if those problems are bigger than usual, we will return you the money and recommand a theme change. Such cases are thankfully rare. Also, one of the 3 reports that we will provide you after the optimization is the "theme report". In this report we will write down all technical problems of your specific theme as well as a personal opinion about it. We invite you to send this report your the theme developers so that they'll be able to hopefully fix them in future updates.
The demo website of my theme has a small score on testing tools. Does this mean that I have a bad theme ?
No, absolutally not. For example the demo website of our own theme (seowptheme.com) has a mediocre score on Google Page Insights and yet we have 100/100. Almost all our clients end up having higher scores than those that developed the theme. Theme developers, despite doing a more complicated job then us are usually not capable of more than a medium optimization or not even that. Despite being smart people, they are simply not qualified in this specific field of speed optimization.
Building a theme is a field that deals with coding and design. Speed optimization is a field that deals with the relationship between the scripts and the browser.
How do I check weather I have good hosting ?
Good hosting should have the following things:
- GZIP compression (can be checked with GTMetrix)
- Keep Alive enabled (can be checked with GTMetrix)
- PHP version 7+ (can be checked in C-Pannel)
- HTTP/2 internet protocol (can be checked at https://tools.keycdn.com/http2-test)
- MariaDB 10 instead of MySql (can be checked in C-Pannel)
If you do not have these options, you will most likely have to change hosting.
If a host has all these options and you are still having a big TTFB (time to first byte), that means your hosting is packing websites on the server like sardines in a can in order to reduce costs, either that the server is not properly configured or in any case, something is wrong. Things that might be wrong on the front-end will be fixed by us. Things that might be wrong on the back-end are the responsibility of hosting. Therefore, if you are still having a high TTFB after our optimization is done and hosting support is unable to fix it, you might have to change hosting.
I have bad hosting! What do I do ?
Turbo Web does not have a partnership with any hosting company. We preffer to maintain our credibility. That being said, we advise you to use SiteGround since it is universally accepted as being the fastest hosting around and our experience confirms that.
My WebDesign or my SEO company says that they've also optimized my website for speed, yet it's still very slow!
Web Design companies have nothing to do with speed optimization. If you'll have the curiosity to test their own websites on speed testing tools you will notice that almost all are doing absolutally catastrophic in this regard. SEO companies, despite theoretically being marketing companies, are doing a little better, but still far from perfection. Some SEO companies are capable of performing a medium speed optimization, but such an optimization is highly inferior to what we offer. How could a company that doesn't even have its own website optimized to perfection be able to optimize yours ?
The field of speed optimization is highly specific. Only people truly specialized in this field can deliver the job to perfection.